Monday, February 2, 2009

Day one of my more sustainable life

I spent the entire day working on business things and just loved it. I probably put in more hours today than I normally would in a salaried job, but it feels so good to be in control of my day, to be in an environment that is peaceful and healthy. I spent the last seven months in one of the most oppressive professional environments I've ever experienced in my life. But it is behind me now and I am rejoicing.

Everyone should take the time to educate themselves about workplace abuse and particularly what constitutes verbal abuse in the workplace and the effect it can have. Professional staff at universities are usually "at will" employees, which means they are not under contract and can be controlled with the threat of losing their job. I had to chose between my honor and my paycheck and, though being unemployed for the first time in 20 some odd years is scary, being my own boss is a rush like you would not believe!!

No comments:

Post a Comment