Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Back to basics--a guide for living wisely

Part of living more sustainably, at least for me, is living more simply. I spent the last eight months commuting with all the other rats in the race to get to downtown Houston for a job that I didn't care for and that was going no where. It was a paycheck. It was my first experience of living and working in a big city and hopefully, I will never have to repeat it. Now I am working at home and looking for ways to live more simply, peacefully, and sustainably.

Before I moved to Houston, I lived on five acres near Iola, TX. We had chickens, gardens, pasture fences that always seemed to need repair, a pond (or as we call it in Texas--a tank) with fish who would come to the surface to be fed, a peddle boat for lazy afternoons piddling around on the tank, a barn that always seemed to need some kind of maintenance--but it was a happy, easy way to live. I think more people are looking for that nowadays.

One source that I have turned to often over the years has been Mother Earth News. Mother has all kinds of ideas and advice for living wisely, things that you can do whether in the city or in the country. You can make small changes to your life style, or search through all her archives and get really back to the earth-build your own home, make your own solar collector, or convert a vehicle to run on wood chips---Mother has it all. Definitely worth checking out if you are looking for a "guide to living wisely".

No comments:

Post a Comment