Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Working From Home

Well, it is snowing again today--this makes an accumulated total of snow that is almost twice what is normal for this area. Being that I live about 15 miles from where I work--and very slippery, nasty miles in this weather--I telecommute on days like today. I work in a small museum that does not have the technical capability that a bigger institution might have, but I have figured out a few work-arounds.

Google is my life line now. I set up a Gmail account just for work and configured the POP mail setting to download all my mail from our server at work. I have moved my appointment calendar, task lists, email and everything out of Outlook and into Google so I can access it from anywhere. I set up a custom signature with my work contact info and configured my settings so that my work email address is all that shows rather than the Gmail address.

I use Google Notifier on my Mac laptop. It lets me know if I have mail and lets me preview what has come in without opening my email. I can click on "go to inbox" in Notifier and it logs me right in. On my computer at work, which is Windows, I have the Google Desktop with a Gmail notifier, calendar, time zone clocks, etc. This way, I don't have to keep a browser window open to see if I have email coming in.

I customized the iGoogle interface by adding a project management tab and adding a widget for to do lists that lets me set up more than one list. I have just started using Evernote for projects and Alltop to scan for news topics. Google Alerts is set to scan for specific key words for any given project that I am working on and the results emailed to me once a day. I also have a reader gadget that lets me preview content of my Google Reader, a YouTube gadget that lets me search for interesting videos from other museums, a Twitter gadget that lets me post from inside iGoogle, and a gadget that lets me see any new books on Project Gutenberg (because I am a glutton for information) and so on.

I have three Google calendars set up (so far)--one for museum programming, one for meetings and such that are work related, and one for personal appointments. They all show on one calendar, but in different colors and I can turn off a calendar simply by clicking on it in the left hand menu. I added a widget that shows all my upcoming appointments on the left side of the screen and a chat widget on the right side, but I stay invisible so I don't have interruptions. I can set email or pop-up reminders for any of my calendar items. I also added a Gmail notifications feature that emails an agenda to me each day with my appointments listed. Google calendars can also be embedded in a web page, a feature I intend to play with when I get the programming calendar finalized. I can also allow others so see or edit my calendars with customized settings for each calendar. Skype video chat allows me to connect to others if they feel the need for a face to face meeting and I can upload documents into Google Docs so others can preview them or work on them.

I am still exploring options for telecommuting, but so far I am quite happy with what I have, and it is all free!


No comments:

Post a Comment