Thursday, October 15, 2009

Eating wisely

I have been on a gluten free diet for the past 25 years, so naturally I probably read labels and pay more attention to what is in food than the average person does. When I start reading labels and see a list of things that look like they came from the chemical shelf in a lab, I cringe. Gluten-free may not be easy, but I think it may be healthier in the long run.

I can remember family get-togethers where a big lunch was served, everything was covered with a cup towel and left on the table and we then grazed on it the rest of the afternoon. No one got sick or died that I can recall, but maybe we were just lucky. Nowadays, I don't take that risk.

I have a wonderful book, Stocking Up, that I often refer to for advice on storing and processing fruits, vegetables and meats. I recently found a website, FoodSafety.gov, that has additional information on recalls and safety. With so much of our food supply coming from countries that don't have the safety standards that we expect, I think it is only prudent to educate ourselves on food safety and where our food comes from. When possible, I try to buy from local farmers, because even our organic produce comes from a long way off.

No comments:

Post a Comment