Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Hummingbird Season

One of my favorite times of year is finally here--hummingbird season. I put out one feeder, just to see who was in the neighborhood, and so far have seen at least three different hummingbirds coming to visit and sup. I make my hummingbird treat with one part sugar and four parts RO water--no dye, no honey, no artificial sweeteners. Those are all no-no's for hummingbirds. The only problem is that the hanger is over the deck and every time it swings a little, it drips sugar water. I have a messy spot on the deck and it attracts ants, so we will have to find a better location. 

My feeders are plastic and were here at the house when we moved in. They look like giant strawberries--not that attractive. However, this article on Crafting a Green World has a tutorial on making your own feeder from a glass bottle and copper tubing--another great way to repurpose a glass bottle. There are also links to other DIY projects that are hummer related. If you are a gardener, you can get top ten lists for native plants and exotic plants that hummers love at RubyThroat.org, as well as lots of other info on hummingbirds.


No comments:

Post a Comment