Saturday, January 10, 2009

The road to self-employment

Well the journey has begun. My goal is to become a self-employed freelance writer. I have no intention of becoming the next J.K. Rowling, but I do love writing, seem to be fairly good at it, and have the self discipline (I think) to be successfully self-employed. I've set up a web site to reserve the name--http://www.virtualprofessionalservices.com--but am still working on the details of the business plan. I kept the name fairly broad to allow me to branch out as I learn more about the market and what fits best for me (and because family members with other talents may come on board). However, I also have in the back of my mind an idea to create a virtual network of professionals who are good at their job and can work together on projects, such as one person doing graphic design and the other working on written content. I don't want employees--I want colleagues. I still need to figure out those details.

Time for that later. Right now I just need to figure out how to generate income, marketing, contracts, etc. Exciting, but also just not enough hours in the day to get it all done!!

No comments:

Post a Comment