Monday, November 17, 2008

I think I need to be my own boss

I've decided I will never be happy until I can control my day myself. I'm not happy with the new job--it is not at all what I was led to believe it would be. I'll stop there--the internet is not a good place to air dirty laundry about your job if you want to stay employed. I do need to stay employed. But I need more autonomy. One of the basic tenets of managing professionals is to give them a goal...then get the hell outa the way. We seem kinda short on long range goals and there is no autonomy to speak of. Stifling, for want of a better word.

More as my sojourn into self employment unfolds. I have lots of ground to cover--how to set up the business, setting up a web site, sketching out a business plan of some kind. Two things really interest me--writing and evaluation. I have some experience in both and a big shiny PhD that ought to be worth something---we'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment